It has been a long and winding road navigating our new normal at Dance Extreme. Behind the scenes, Artistic Director Rebecca Brettingham-Filice and her faculty are always thinking one step ahead in this ever-changing climate of COVID-19. As part of adopting a safe re-opening of Dance Extreme, Brettingham-Filice, along with a team of other dance studio owners in Ontario, developed a document, ‘Ontario Dance and Performing Arts Schools Workplace Guidelines for COVID-19,’ that was submitted to local MPPs around the province in support of re-opening dance studios and performing arts schools.
In Ontario, dance is not governed by an overarching organization such as Hockey Canada, so this document proved very important to the safe re-opening of many dance studios. As a result of this document, ‘Dance Safe’ protocols were developed to guide studio owners in ensuring the health and safety of their faculty and students upon returning to dance. The health and safety of Dance Extreme students, faculty, staff, parents and community members are of top priority.
Here are some of the measures that Dance Extreme has taken:
• All staff and students are required to complete a self-assessment – according to the COVID-19 symptoms list
• Hand sanitizing stations are provided upon entry to the studio
• Social distancing is required throughout the studio
• Daily sanitizing of all highly touched surfaces
• Individual supplies (barre sections, props) for each student
• Curbside drop-off and pick-up of dancers
• Only teachers and dancers permitted in the studio
• Personal dance space colour-coded boxes of 6’ x 6’ in each studio
• Student belongings are kept in the studio in their colour corresponding square
• Group sizes limited to government requirements
• Face coverings worn in all common areas
• Promoting proper hand hygiene
• Staggered class times
• Small class sizes with a maximum of 10 students and one teacher OR 8 students and one teacher and one assistant per class
• Any individual feeling unwell is not be permitted into the building
Dance Extreme was thrilled to host summer evening classes and dance camps. Although things may look slightly different in the Fall, the studio looks forward to welcoming back all of our students for our 24th season! Stay safe and stay healthy!
To learn more about Dance Extreme’s ‘Dance Safe’ protocols, visit: www.danceextreme.com/dance-extremes-covid-19-protocols
By Richelle Hirlehey for Dance Extreme