It was with great disappointment and heavy hearts that we had to cancel the 2020 EBBA season in June. The EBBA board has long held out the hope that there would be a way to run a modified season this year, but unfortunately the following factors made that option impossible:
- Baseball Ontario suspended all in-person baseball activities through June 15. Since EBBA is insured through Baseball Ontario, it was not possible to have insurance coverage until Baseball Ontario allows in-person baseball activities to resume.
- The provincial government, at the time of this writing, had not given a date for team sports to resume. With the recent rise in the number of confirmed Covid-19 cases, it did not appear that the province would be lifting the ban any time soon.
- The City of London had already notified us that once the go-ahead is given from the province, it would take at least two weeks before the City would be able to issue permits for any locations. Organized teams cannot use fields or diamonds without City permits.
- The City also informed us that they would not have staff available for weekend support, which means that diamonds would not be dragged and made playable on the weekends.
- If and when a date to begin team sports arrives and the City issues permits, the time necessary to contact all players, offer the option of a full refund or participating in the season, and then putting together a season that would not include weekend play, was just not feasible.
All registration fees paid this year will be refunded in full.
The board of EBBA would like to thank you for your continued support and patience during this time. If an opportunity to run a short fall season materializes, we will send out an email with all registration information. As well, keep checking our website at ebba.ca. Right now, we still plan to be running the indoor clinics starting in January.
We hope to see everyone back on the diamonds in 2021!
Your EEBA Board of Directors
Submitted by Eager Beaver Baseball Association